Skip to content
Complaint Resolution Procedure
- Across The World Adoptions (ATWA) anticipates a smooth working relationship with Adoption Services Consumers. Consumers may be an adoptive parent, prospective adoptive parent, adoptee or birth parent. ATWA welcomes feedback and works to resolve any differences that may occur. ATWA will take no action to discourage a complaint or to retaliate against any consumer making a complaint, expressing a grievance, providing information in writing or interviews to an accrediting entity, questioning the conduct of, or expressing an opinion about the performance of ATWA and its services, activities, or staff.
- Any consumer who has received services from or had contact with ATWA may lodge a complaint.
- Any complaint must:
- be in writing,
- state with specificity the date and nature of the complaint, including names of persons involved, and
- be signed and dated
- The written complaint should be submitted to the Executive Director (ED) through the U.S. mail addressed to the main office of ATWA at 399 Taylor Blvd, Suite 102, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. Received emails that state with specificity the date and nature of the complaint, including the names of persons involved, shall be considered as meeting the requirements of being in writing, signed, and dated.
- In response, the ED shall follow the steps below.
- The ED may, at her sole discretion, arrange an in-person or telephonic interview with the consumer, and take any other steps to investigate the complaint.
- The ED will respond within 30 days of receipt of the written complaint. However, when a complaint involves time-sensitive matters, ATWA may provide expedited review within 10 days of the complaint.
- The ED shall respond to the complaint in writing. The response will contain a summary of facts and issues and specific findings and conclusions with regard to the issues.
- If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily, the consumer may, within ten working days of receipt of ATWA’s written response, request an appeal. The request for appeal must be in writing, submitted to ATWA’s Executive Director (ED) through the U.S. mail and addressed to the main office of ATWA at 399 Taylor Blvd, Suite 102, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523.
In cases of appeal, an email is not considered sufficient. The request for appeal must clearly and succinctly state the consumer’s objections to ATWA’s decision or conclusions.
- The ED will review and consider the facts and circumstances of the complaint and will issue a written decision within 10 business days of receipt of consumer’s written notice of appeal. All decisions made by the ED are considered final.
- If the complaint concerns or raises an issue of compliance with the Hague Convention or the U.S. implementing statutes and regulations, any consumer dissatisfied with ATWA’s resolution may file with the Hague Complaint Registry. Contact information and procedures for the internet based Hague Complaint Registry:
state with specificity the date and nature of the complaint, including names of persons involved, and be signed and dated.